Thomas Jefferson Sayings and Quotes

Below you will find our collection of inspirational, wise, and humorous old thomas jefferson quotes, thomas jefferson sayings, and thomas jefferson proverbs, collected over the years from a variety of sources.


If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done.     

Thomas Jefferson

The earth belongs to the living, not to the dead.     

Thomas Jefferson

To every obstacle oppose patience, perseverance and soothing language.     

Thomas Jefferson

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work, the more I have of it.     

Thomas Jefferson

As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also.     

Thomas Jefferson

An enemy generally says and believes what he wishes.     

Thomas Jefferson

Democracy is 51% of the people taking away the rights of the other 49%.     

Thomas Jefferson

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.     

Thomas Jefferson

Governments constantly choose between telling lies and fighting wars, with the end result always being the same. One will always lead to the other.     

Thomas Jefferson

The purpose of government is to enable the people of a nation to live in safety and happiness. Government exists for the interests of the governed, not for the governors.     

Thomas Jefferson

Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government.     

Thomas Jefferson

My only fear is that I may live too long. This would be a subject of dread to me.     

Thomas Jefferson

The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family.     

Thomas Jefferson

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.     

Thomas Jefferson

No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden.     

Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.     

Thomas Jefferson

The man who stops advertising to save money is like the man who stops the clock to save time.     

Thomas Jefferson

Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost.     

Thomas Jefferson

Information is the currency of democracy.     

Thomas Jefferson

Who then can so softly bind up the wound of another as he who has felt the same wound himself.     

Thomas Jefferson

Every generation needs a new revolution.     

Thomas Jefferson

Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.     

Thomas Jefferson

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.     

Thomas Jefferson

Too old to plant trees for my own gratification, I shall do it for my posterity.     

Thomas Jefferson

Liberty is the great parent of science and of virtue; and a nation will be great in both always in proportion as it is free.     

Thomas Jefferson

Friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life.     

Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.     

Thomas Jefferson

Leave all the afternoon for exercise and recreation, which are as necessary as reading. I will rather say more necessary because health is worth more than learning.      

Thomas Jefferson

He who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it the second time.     

Thomas Jefferson

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.     

Thomas Jefferson