Democracy Sayings and Quotes

Below you will find our collection of inspirational, wise, and humorous old democracy quotes, democracy sayings, and democracy proverbs, collected over the years from a variety of sources.


Democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.     

Winston Churchill

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!     

Benjamin Franklin

Democracy works when people claim it as their own.     

BILL MOYERS

Democracy consists of choosing your dictators, after they've told you what you think it is you want to hear.     

ALAN COREN

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half the time.     

E.B. WHITE

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.     

Henry Louis Mencken

Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers.     

Aristotle

Democracy is a charming form of government, full of variety and disorder, and dispensing a sort of equality to equals and unequal alike.     

Plato

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage.     

Henry Louis Mencken

Democracy, like liberty, justice and other social and political rights are not given. They are earned through courage, resolution and sacrifice.     

Aung San Suu Kyi

Democracy is the process by which people choose the man who'll get the blame.     

Bertrand Russell

Democracy is the form of government that gives every man the right to be his own oppressor.     

James Russell Lowell

Democracy is the art of thinking independently together.     

Alexander Meiklejohn

A democracy is a volcano which conceals the fiery materials of its own destruction. These will produce an eruption and carry desolation in their way.     

Fisher Ames

Democracy means government by discussion, but it is only effective if you can stop people talking.     

Clement Atlee

Democracy means not 'I am as good as you are' but 'You are as good as I am.     

Theodore Parker

Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.     

Irving Kristol

Democracy is 51% of the people taking away the rights of the other 49%.     

Thomas Jefferson

Democracy is like a hobby horse: It will carry you nowhere unless you use your own legs.     

Herbert Samuel

Democracy is not a fragile flower; still it needs cultivating.     

Ronald Reagan

Democracy means that anyone can grow up to be president, and anyone who doesn't grow up can be vice president.     

Johnny Carson

The ship of democracy, which has weathered all storms, may sink through the mutiny of those on board.     

Grover Cleveland

Democracy is based upon the conviction that there are extraordinary possibilities in ordinary people.     

Harry Emerson Fosdick

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.     

George Bernard Shaw

Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.     

George Bernard Shaw

Democracy: The state of affairs in which you consent to having your pocket picked, and elect the best man to do it.     

Benjamin Lichtenberg

Democracy is like a raft: It won't sink, but you will always have your feet wet.     

Russell B. Long

Democracy cannot flourish half rich and half poor, any more than it can flourish half free and half slave.     

Felix G. Rohatyn

Democracy is an experiment, and the right of the majority to rule is no more inherent than the right of the minority to rule; and unless the majority represents sane, righteous, unselfish public sentiment, it has no inherent right.     

William Allen White

The primal principle of democracy is the worth and dignity of the individual.     

Edward Bellamy